Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fun Times



Travis and Frank were vacationing in Vegas this weekend so I got to spend some quality time with my FAVORITE Fabulous Entourage band-mate and my favorite Fabulous Entourage band-mate-significant other. Except for Sarah. And Chelsea even though I don't know Chelsea that well. And Chris is really cool too.

Anyway, the boys took me out on my night off and we saw "Zumanity" which is the sexy-Cirque du Soleil show. It had been rumored to be everyone's least favorite Cirque show, next to "Love" (the Beatles one) but I thought it was pretty rad. As far as overall plot and aesthetic, it was a bit disorganized and inconsistent, but the acts themselves were cool enough that I was able to overlook it's shortcomings. My favorite part is a toss up between the lesbian contortionists in the fishbowl and the 'husband/wife' act where the lady balances on one hand on the guy's forehead. Ow! I was talking to my dresser, Patricia, about it because she used to be a part of one of the most famous trapeze acts in the world, and she said that doing a headstand or handstand on someone else's head was the first thing she learned to do in her circus-upbringing.

P: Yeah, when you're brought up in a family of performers, you start training very young. Like, we started taking our daughters up on the trapeze when they were about 4 or 5. Here's your water bottle.
Me: Thank you. Wow, and they weren't scared?
P: Well, we just have them sit up there and get comfortable being up there so they're not afraid of it. It's like a game.
Me: Wow, so those performers, they don't get nervous when they're flying around up there? I need a Ricola.
P: Here you go. No they're not scared at all. You adjust to it gradually, you start working on an act for a couple of hours a day and then you start performing it and it grows from there. Like the first act I learned was balancing on my father.
Me: What?
P: Yeah I did a headstand on his head.
Me: Like - your head on his head?
P: Yes. Here, put your shoes on.
Me: Wait, when you were 5 you could balance on your father's head with your head?
P: Turn around we need to put on your necklace.

Wowee wow. These people are amazing. I have to do like 2 hours of yoga just to warm up for Mamma Mia. And all I do is run around looking Swedish. Imagine if I was going to have to stand on the top half of my ribcage while my lesbian lover did a handstand on the bottom half. I think Frank had it right when he said, "I think the trick is that they're just never warmed down."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought I was your favorite band mate!! Excuse me while I weep. -Kyle

Travis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Travis said...

(Oops! Pressed publish before I got all my witty bits edited down to perfection. Here we go again:)

Yay! I'm Libby's favorite! The secret, Kyle, is to take her out to watch really hot topless women do headstands on the heads of even hotter nearly naked men (and while you're at it, throw in a couple of topless g-stringed lesbian acrobats to swim and covort in a giant fishbowl). Splish splash, that's what did the trick for me! Besides, you were the favorite from '04-'05, during the whole Land of Trust era. Isn't it time someone else got a shot?

Vegas was awesome, everyone! You all have to go see Libby in MAMA MIA. It was almost as good as PACMAN the Musical. Almost. The black-light dream sequence (featuring the entire company in day-glo scuba gear) that starts off Act 2 is worth the trip alone. Also, keep an eye out for her awesome dance moves at the end of the Mamma Mia Mega Mix Curtain Call. Truly stunning! (Libby, we are all so proud of you!)

While you're there, do yourself a huge favor and check out the Dancing Fountains at the Bellagio (starting at 8pm onwards). If you catch the right song at the right moment and the night is just perfect in every possible way, you may actually find yourself breathless and teary-eyed, like I did... Transcendent, I believe, is the word I'm looking for. But then again, I'm gay.

P.S. The Fabulous Entourage should have been born in Vegas. We'd be super rich by now, like for reals. I have this idea that we'd create stage shows using discarded costumes and sets from all the shows that close. Adding new songs and more stage numbers as more shows close and throw out their beautiful junk. Just imagine what the girls would look like in a topless Bob Mackie rhinestone gown with a huge feathered headdress. C'mon, you know I'm right.

-Libby's Favorite

Ricky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ricky said...

I second that emotion Travis. That curtain call kicks ass, even despite the fact that Libby's in khakis...

hannah said...

Oh lib so wish I could see you there, my Minnesota mind can hardly comprehend lesbian fishbowls and day-glo scuba dances! Love ya!
ps. I am a married woman! How wierd is that? Ka is so disappointed, by the way remind me to tell you about her oh so wonderful speech....